Monday, September 24, 2007

Usability and Perception (2)

Usability is still a good thing, and it still is not the same as functionality, but usually when the functionality is well designed a product is easier to use, so we spent a lot of time on the right functionality. But is it wise to do so? Always?

Let’s start with a few examples where usability gets in the way of the product. When I am asked to take a look at a game to improve its usability, what should I do? In a shoot-em-up I could introduce a “Kill All Opponents-button”. Wow, end of game with the highest functionality possible! Or could I come up with an inpenetretable vehicle, some super tank, with an arsenal of weapons, an never-ending powersupply, a.s.o. But where would that leave the game?
A racing game with a super-car, that also has a super automatic pilot, so after a test-lap it would know all perks of the track. In the race I could put my hands behind my head, lean back, and win the race. Wow that would be fun, wouldn’t it?

Hey, what am I telling you here? Usability isn’t such a good idea? Hmm, let’s take a look at another example, because what do people when they can choose freely between a functional and a less functional design?

I live in the Netherlands, which is a bike-country. Lots of people even have more than one bike. One for daily use, one for their free time, weekends, sport, a.s.o. Children cycle to and from school, many employees cycle to their places of work. I go to the station by bike, take a train, and at the end walk to my place of work. When my place of work is moved further away from the station, I will decide whether I will buy a second bike to use in Leeuwarden or a folding bike that I can take with me in the train. And I surely are no exception.

Consider the case that somebody goes from home to work each day by bike, and he or she has to cycle a distance of about 10 kilometers. There are two routes to choose from. One is more or less a straight line, along a highway, it is the shortest way, just under 10 kilometers. The other is on the other side of the same highway, it is little longer because it meanders a bit, passing some trees and bushes, partly around a small lake, a.s.o. Although it is over 12 kilometers long, most people would prefer that for their daily route. Maybe not on a Monday-morning when they overslept, but in general they would prefer the longer route.

Why do people do such things? The answer is simple: because they prefer it. This is very important: People prefer what they like! Seems like kicking in an open door, doesn’t it? Yeah, sure. Then why are not all products designed that way?

No comments: